Monday, July 14, 2008

Well, while I'm here...

Colossians 1:10-12 (New International Version)

10And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.


I guess I'll kick off this blog today and start electronically writing the general "stuff" that I usually write in my personal journal. I've done a few blogs before but I never can keep up with them. The best I've done was a year-long photo blog. I will probably post a LOT of photos here, so I will just warn you now. ;) I'll also post a bible verse each day to ponder (that's ponder for you AND for me). I picked Colossians today because that's what our Sunday school class is studying. I'm really enjoying the study, the class, and the friendships I've made since joining.

Some background info if you "ain't from around here." Terrell is a pretty small town, relatively speaking, as compared to places like Dallas or even Mesquite or Garland or other major suburbs. It's huge, however, compared to towns I lived in growing up. I lived in Edgewood for a while in grade school, and I graduated from high school while living in Emory. Those are REALLY small. So I've got some perspective and some life experience to help me form and shape opinions about life in Terrell.

I have worked for the school district for 12 years...this August starts year 13. I have loved every year of it. There are challenges, to be sure, but overall the district is a good place to work and send your kids to school. My kids go here, and have done so all their lives, even when I didn't live in Terrell (employees can bring their kids here without having to pay the transfer fees). I do not worry about the quality of education they receive, and I do not worry that they are missing out on things that other districts might offer. My sons are well-adjusted, bright, and very active in all sorts of activities. Terrell ISD is not evil or awful, as many in this community would have you believe. I don't just say that because I work here. I say it because I believe it, 100%. Of course, there are bad teachers. There are ineffective teachers. There are teachers who don't care. But you know what? There are those in EVERY district. I have been blessed to have teachers for my children that are NOT like that.

As parents, we must be vigilant about who is teaching our kids, of course. But also be vigilant about what they are learning...the schedule for the day...the lunch menu...the class newsletter...take-home folders...homework...and all the other general communication opportunities we have to stay in touch with school and know what is going on with our kids. In my not-so-humble opinion, the ones who "bark" first about bad teachers or classroom situations with kids not succeeding or being mistreated (not abused, that's for another rant) are the guilty dogs themselves...those who choose not to be involved until something goes awry. That's the point when they choose to blame the teacher, the principal, the superintendent...when in all actuality, the parent could have been involved from the beginning.

I will climb down off of my soapbox, I suppose, but suffice it to say that you'll hear a lot about school from me because it's close to my heart and it's a major ingredient in my life.

School starts again in about six weeks...however, I report back to campus on August 4. Where did the summer go????

No comments: