Saturday, August 15, 2009

30 Compressions...2 Breaths

Genesis 2:7
the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

CPR is something that I feel everyone should know how to perform, at least at a rudimentary level...just in case. As part of my job duties, I have been certified by the Red Cross to be a CPR/AED/First Aid instructor and as such, I am an authorized provider for the training for the school district.

Today I recertified 37 Petermann Transportation employees for CPR and AED. It was a full day. We had two sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Working with recerts is actually kind of fun, because since they've already sat through the whole 8 hour class before, doing the "challenge" to recert simply consists of taking the written exam (all three parts) and then performing the actual skills on the manikin so that I can be sure they know how to do the steps properly. That's the most time consuming part, but it's my favorite part as well.

I explain to anyone I teach that I want to be confident enough in their abilities that I would allow my own children to be on their bus and know that they could take care of them if the need were to arise (God forbid).

Fortunately today, everyone passed the exam and all demonstrated appropriate skills. We have a good group of drivers and they were all attentive and asked questions. I am confident that if there were an emergency, they each have the capability to handle it.

Even though the challenge is shorter, with 37 people to go through, I am a tired little girl tonight. It takes it out of you!

If you never remember anything at all from a CPR course, remember this...30 chest compressions, 2 breaths...you can help make a difference and possibly save a life.

No comments: