Thursday, July 30, 2009

They Grow Up Fast!

Genesis 18:19
For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."

Today I sent my middle son off to pre-teen church camp. This is his first time to be away from any family for a week. It's hard for me to believe sometimes that he is a pre-teen (or tween, or whatever they call kids that are no longer little kids but still not teenagers). He's almost 11, but just the other day he was a squalling, squirmy bundle I lugged home from the hospital...all 8 pounds, 6 ounces of him.

J.P. is so different from my other two kids. He is very laid back, casual, and doesn't get very emotional about things. Even tempered, calm, and definitely not one to want to make a scene. He is a people pleaser, and he loves to make people laugh. He has a goofy sense of humor and tons of charm. He's going to be one of those kids that even if he gets into trouble in class, he will be able to charm his way out of it with his smile and his giggle.

I have a feeling we will have quite a few girls calling the house soon. He has that tousled sandy blonde hair, deep brown eyes, and a tan that makes most cheerleaders envious. I wish I could keep him all to myself longer, but I know I have to send him out in the world someday, hopefully equipped to make good decisions and knowing that I love him very much.

I'm so thankful that we have an awesome church and an active youth department. This camp will be so much fun for them! My prayer is that the kids' hearts are open to receive the message God brings them this week and that they come back as leaders for the kids they encounter at school and in the community, winning hearts for God.


No comments: