Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dry Creek Cemetery

Psalm 107:20 (New International Version)

20 He sent forth his word and healed them;
he rescued them from the grave.


I've always had some strange fascination with old cemeteries. Not like a macabre, goth-girl, want-to-go-wander-them-at-night-and-see-ghosts kind of fascination, but I have just always loved to wander through them in broad daylight, looking at the headstones, trying to form stories of the deceased in my mind. Their dates of birth and death are there, along with their names, so I try to fill in the dash between the dates with what I imagine their lives to have been like. Maybe it's a bit weird or crazy, but that's OK. ;)

This particular cemetery is Dry Creek Cemetery on 1565 just outside of Poetry. It's very small, and secluded in the neatest little area surrounded by old trees and wildflowers. Lots of irises and indian paintbrushes dot the landscape during the spring, but not quite yet as there were not any out today. I've photographed things here before and thought I'd return today since it's close by and it's pretty cool to see. It's also nice and quiet, and nobody bothers me there.

I think I might start a little personal side challenge to find other little cemeteries this spring. I'll post them up as I find them and see if I'm the only weirdo in the bunch.

On another note, have a wonderful and blessed Easter. He has risen!!











1 comment:

Unknown said...

We just got back from our 2nd visit to Dry Creek Cemetery. I, too, enjoy visiting old cemeteries. I do not believe I am psychic and have no desire to speak to ghosts, etc. I just like to be near things of the past and to try to figure out what their lives were like. Why did so many die in the first part of the 1900s? It's just always been a weird interest of mine. I have a great fiance, though, and I mentioned to him that I really like old cemeteries and showed him the outside of Dry Creek Cemetery on our way to drop my son off w/ his grandma, and he actually stopped. That was in the evening and it was hard to see everything. So, he otok me back today to see it. It's neat to see that someone else shares in my "weirdness." Oh, and it's funny b/c you and I took some of the exact same pictures. :) Take care & God bless.